Re: [RC] AERC National Championship ride qualifications

Terry Woolley Howe did an excellent job of explaining the reasons the AERC NC Qualifications are such a hot issue.  I agree 100% with her analysis.  Everyone seems to forget the AERC NC's are only 3 years old, they are still undergoing growth pains, and they are put on with 100% of the financial risk on the shoulders of the Ride Management.  The first year the entire event had 37 total entries, year 2 saw the event grow to the mid 90's in entries...yet both years the event lost money.  Last year the event continued to grow, but it still barely broke even.  The best way to kill off an endurance event is for the management to lose money.

That being said, I am in favor of the increased qualification standards...but I am not in favor of implementing them in 2003, not 2002, since there has been no Official Notice to the AERC Membership, and the qualifying period began in August, 2001.   It would be a tremendous setback to this event if it shrunk rather than grew..based on  whether the qualifying standards should be in place this year or next year.   Some say the  Midyear BOD Minutes printed in the December issue of EN suffice for notice, yet in bold print above the Minutes is the following:  "NOTE:  These minutes have not yet been approved by the Board.  Any corrections and additions will be published in a subsequent issue of Endurance News."

I want the AERC NC to succeed as much, or more, than anyone.  I invested two years of my time and finances into the first two events to make them work and I know the effort needed to make them successful.  The AERC NC needs to continue to grow, the management needs to be able to at least break even..making a profit is even better.  This is a premier endurance event, it showcases great horses and great riders..assisted by great crews.  We employ some of the best endurance vets in the world as the ride veterinarians and they certainly have the best interest and welfare of the horses in mind as the judge the ride.  The thrill and excitement of the event is not lessened by the existing standards, and it will be even more thrilling when they are increases..but that increase needs to be implemented in a timely fashion with all the factors in mind to keep the event growing and successful.

I was glad to see John Bass's comments on this subject since he and his daughter were successful entrants of the 2000 AERC NC and know on a personal level what it means.

Randy Eiland
SW Region Director
AERC NC Ride Manager 1999/2000

*************************
Terry Woolley Howe wrote:
Kathy,

Thank you for your input.  What has transpired to cause John to put forth
that motion was that at the mid year meeting when we met and one of the
things passed was the motion to toughen up the criteria for entry into the
championship ride.  As chairman of the competitions committee, I also felt
that the previous entry criteria was way too soft and the championship did
not mean as much if everyone could qualify, so I was much in favor of
tightening up the qualifications.    Here is where the problem came in.  We
passed the tougher qualifying criteria, but the problem was that the mid
year board meeting was not until November and after the meeting many of the
board members felt that the membership did not have ample notice of the new
criteria and by the time the new criteria was out to the membership, we
would already be 5 months into the qualifying period and many thought that
was not fair, and felt that the membership should know well before the start
of
the qualifying period what the qualifications were going to be.

So then the
haggling among the board started on whether the new criteria should be in
effect this year or wait until next year so that the riders had ample time
to qualify.  While I believe that the criteria should be tougher, I can see
that the argument for waiting until next year so that the members have the
full year to qualify is valid.

John Parke, who is an attorney, and did not like the board going back and
forth on
something that had already passed, indicated that he was going to put forth
a motion to do away with all qualifying criteria.   I don't feel that this
will  pass (although I could be wrong), and I hope that  the board will
vote to keep the same qualifying criteria as last year in place, and have
the new tougher criteria be in place for the qualification period starting
in August so that the riders will have the entire year to qualify under the
tougher criteria.

I hope this addresses your concern.

Terry Woolley Howe
Pacific South Regional Director
Competititons Chairman

> Dear AERC Directors,
>
> Kathy Myers here.  I am writing to let you know that I am not very happy
about the idea of removing the increased qualifications put in place for the
AERC NC rides.  I think the qualifications put into place for this year are
right on the target.  They reward anyone who has miles and logevity with the
same horse.  Endurance is about making it in the long run, not just on a
single day.

> If I remember right, when the new NC rides were introduced a couple years
ago the intent to move toward stiffer qualifications as the years went by
was announced along with the rides.  I guess people tend to forget.

> I support the new stiffer qualifications.  I support the move toward
looking for riders and horses with longevity and a history together.  I
think the new qualifications are fair.  I do not think that the new
qualifications are locking anyone out of the ride that should otherwise be
there. I think riders in our AERC National Championship rides should have to
qualifiy to be there.

> I understand there has been a few people discussing this via the web.  I
think that the few who have been vocal do not necessarily reflect the entire
membership.  I think that those who agree with the new qualifications didn't
see any point in writing or expressing their view.

> Perhaps with the proposal just announced and put in front of the board at
the convention later this week, this has changed.  Those of us who agree
with the new stiffer qualifications need to speak up and let you know that.
Thanks for your time and consideration,