Re: [RC] Re: [RC] how to feed a yearling

In a message dated 2/25/2002 7:01:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

Don't feed just by scoops, feed the amount that will keep your new kid
with some cover over the ribs, but never, ever plump.

When do you think its OK for them to get a little bit plump?  My "rescue" baby, Chance, (original name, eh?) who you helped me with 3 1/2 years ago is coming 4 in June (thanks for all your advice along the way! :) and he finally has a little extra meat on his bones.  Not fat, but very comfortably fleshed (I wish that was OK in people!).  I'm thinking that since he'll be started under saddle in June, chubby right now is OK.  Or am I risking his joints by letting him chub up a bit? He's just suddenly turning into an "easy keeper" which is a complete 180 from how he's been previously.   Also, do you think that tall (16 hands and over) horses are more at risk joint wise than the littler guys?

I'm so used to looking at the fat boy, Harca, that my other horses always look thin by comparison but Chance is catching up fast!

Thanks again for all your help!

Sylvia