Girth Sore

I need help with my new Arab mare's girth.  She developed a gall sore
above her left elbow after our last ride.  I was using a neoprene western
girth that is flat with nylon down the center.  I am wondering what is
the best girth - a mohair, neoprene or other suggestions?  We are using
an original Bob Marshall saddle and DO NOT tighten the girth to tight!
Can Witch Hazel be used to toughen the skin before it is completely
healed?  Thanks in advance!  Patricia