Equine dentistry

I followed the past dental posts on this list with interest.  I never really thought about having a dentist out, figured the vet was doing a good enough job just floating.  Thought dentists were for rich horse owners (although I've never met one).  Then I bought a new horse, he has sharp points so needs to be "floated."  Started thinking about an equine dentist because of this list.

Yesterday I went to a local Veterinarian Symposium put on by all the local large animal vets.  It was very well done, really learned a lot. One of the topics was equine dentistry.  Well, I'm hooked.  The presentation was incredible.  All the talk on this list did nothing to convey the need like this slide presentation did.  Yes, it can be expensive at first (at least more expensive than floating), but the long range benefits are incredible.  Lucky me,  this is a Large animal vet AND an equine dentist so I won't have the problems some of you talked about (ie: sedation, non-vet dentist).

He made a good point about the money.  You spend the money to have your farrier come out every 5-7 weeks, and don't think twice.  This may be just as important.  It can affect your horses attitude, nutrition, movement, etc.

So anyway, just wanted to share this.  If you have the opportunity to learn more about it, please do.

Judy