Ramp vs Step

Mickie said:

>...And then there are the ones who are about 4" off the ground, have full doors
>with a tiny ramp in addition.  Does anyone see the purpose in that? ...

If you do carriage driving, they are a must.  My 18' Moritz gooseneck stock
actually has a removeable aluminum ramp.  It fits under the rear of the trailer.
Turns out the trailer was originally ordered by carriage driving folks and they
used the front of the trailer for their rig and the rear for the horses.  Hence the
ramp.  I used it once when I transported a small tractor in the trailer.

My other idea would be so that you can sell the trailer to English-style
backround folks who still insist on a ramp.

I think slant load trailer manufactureres should offer an option whereby
the entire rear tack *rotates* out of the trailer.  Not collapses (because
then you have to unload everything you load before you can collapse
it), but rotates out on hinges.  The door configuration would be tricky, but
I think it is solvable.  That would solve the "backing out around a corner"
problem that so many horses have while still giving the owner full-width
access to the rear of the trailer.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA