From: Maggie Mieske [mailto:mmieske@netonecom.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 9:18 AM
To: greymare@jps.net; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Re: foot angles

60 and 65 degree angles are pretty steep.  I kept records a
few years ago
about "ideal" angles on the performance horses we were
shoeing and printed a
summary on RC.  It's in the archives somewhere...I can try
to find it.
Basically though, the majority of horses perform at their
best between about
53-55 degrees on the fronts and slightly higher in the rear.
You can't just
say that EVERY horse should be at 55 degrees...we have one
endurance horse
that we do who goes best at 53 degrees but she gains angle
as she grows so
Nelson shoes her at 52 degrees to start and she spends the
greatest amount
of time at her best angle as she grows through
it...sometimes you need to
keep records to find out what works best for your horse.
Ask your farrier
what angles your horse is at and what length of toe and then
have him
measure both BEFORE shoeing next time (after pulling the
shoes and before
trimming the hoof and fitting the shoe) and see how your
horse grows out.
Then there are those horses who perform miraculously at
lower angles and
higher angles...for some perhaps it is just conformation or
gait or whatever
and for some who have farriers who hack off heel or refuse
to touch it at
all, maybe it's in spite of their hoof care.  :)
One more comment....you mentioned 60 and 65 degree angles on
the front feet
of one horse...a 5 degree discrepancy is a big one.  One or
two degrees is
not a biggie but 5 degrees is not desirable.  We usually
shoe with wedge
pads if we have a horse who for one reason or another has
that big of a
difference.  However, don't make drastic sudden changes in
your horses feet
and give your horse time to adjust to the new angles whether
you are going
lower or higher.  Dropping the angles will cause some
stretching and pulling
of the deep flexor tendons but will relax the extensor.
Give the horse some
time to adjust...also make sure to question your farrier
about the
possibility of a club foot.  Angles this steep are often
caused by a club
foot.  Is there a dish in one foot and a bubble in the
other?  Are they two
absolutely different feet in shape and size?  Please feel
free to e-mail us
with more questions if you'd like.
Maggie

=-=-=-=-=