20 Mule Team - Long

I just did 20 Mule Team (only the LD).  I am just finishing up a year of LD
on my 5 year old & was riding with a newbie who did great.

The weather was a little warm.  At the start of Loop 1, Jackie took us out a
different way.  It was deceiving, as it climbed just enough to make the
horses work pretty hard.  The wind wasn't blowing, so it really was pretty
warm in the a.m.  We were setting a pretty good pace, although we left about
10 - 15 minutes after the pack.  Everyone on the trail was really nice, the
trail was marked exceptionally well, and there was tons of water with some
excellent oat hay at each vet check & water trough.  Jackie did a great job.
My horse didn't drink until we got the railroad trestle, the riding partner
was a little tired, so we slowed down at that point.  The weather actually
got a little better for the horses in the afternoon, the wind picked up a
little & it cooled down.  I understand from the P & R person at the finish
that a few horses did tie up because of the unexpected heat/humidity.  I saw
quite a few horses being trailered in, but don't know the distance they were
riding.  I do know that it was a huge ride.  There were 65 people doing the
35 alone.  With that many horses/riders, there are bound to be a few more
pulls than normal.

The newbie I rode with had a wonderful time & was impressed with the
friendliness, courtesy, and good sportsmanship we saw on the trail.  The
only negative things that happened were right at the end of our ride.  We
were basically run off the trail by two 100 milers with an F next to their
number.  They ran up on the back of her horse which had a bright red ribbon
on her crupper, then spooked my horse clear off the trail.  If they
apologized, I didn't hear it, so if you did, I'm sorry we were in your way.
Next time, let us know you're there, and would like to pass, and we'll get
out of your way.  The next incident happened at the finish line.  When we
saw the finish line, we started walking our horses so when we arrived they
would be below criterion.  About 50 yards away, we got off & walked them in.
As most of you know, and LD isn't finished until they pulse down.  As the P
& R person was just about finished with my horse, 2 more 100F riders came
charging up to the finish line.  I really though they were going to hit us,
so I moved my horse.  The P & R person gave me a glare until she realized I
moved my horse for HER safety.  The 2 riders did not stop & continued on to
the fairgrounds.  The P & R person had to do my horse again.

The folks at the finish line & the P & R person were pretty disgusted.  It
made me angry, too, although I truthfully thought my horse was a little bit
in the way, but that's where the P & R person had stopped me.  The finish
line was wide, and I was off to the side, as a matter of fact, I was
standing off the road.  My horse & the P & R taker were on the side of the
road.  Out of probably close to 180 riders, we met 4 who were
rude/dangerous/inconsiderate/...  That says a lot for our sport!  Thanks to
all who made Diane Farnsworth's first ride so great she wants to continue.
Jackie, a good job, a fun ride, and an organized ride!

P.S.  To the Mitchell's, Marci Cunningham, Jane McGrath, & Karen Sweaney...
I hope you finished your 100 in great shape and I hope you had a great time!

P.S.2  Diane, congratulations on your first limited distance ride.  You did
a great job and whined less than I did.

Kathy & Taz