RE: Mares in Foal

I have birthed about 25 foals in the last 15 years. I am no expert but
experience has taught me alot. One is that the following is true: "You can
put a foal in a safe padded stall and they can/will still eat the padding,
colick & die".

I provide the safest environment possible for foaling (after doing all the
right immunizations/vitamins in combination with turnout for the mare) that
I can. I have a 12X24 foaling stall. The doors are solid to the ground (no
room for little legs to get caught), I have three cameras that connect to my
computer indoors to monitor the mare by without distressing her with too
much human intervention.

I still have had a mare get into trouble by getting her foot wedged between
a plastic corner feeder and the wall. It had very rounded corners, she just
was wedged with a baby half delivered, hanging out of her. Fortunately with
the help of a strong rope we were able to get the rope around the front
foot, get it unwedged and move on to deliver a weak but viable baby. The
mare collicked within the hour and with the help of a good vet, lots of
drugs and TLC the mare/baby are fine a year later.
	I really like the book you are referring to but temper it with reason. Most
of us cannot afford to hire outside help and we have to sleep sometime (let
alone work for a living). Do the best you can and work towards the best
outcome possible. I do not put any horse in pens fenced with barb wire, let
alone a foal so that is way beyond what I can accept as inherent risk.
Marilyn