Re: Re: physiology of weight/Absolutes? Nah.

----- Original Message -----
From: Merryben@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 10:30 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Re: physiology of weight/Absolutes?Nah.

In a message dated 2/13/02 11:44:40 AM Mountain Standard Time, helgeson@ndak.net writes:
It seems to me that the BC award does not measure which horse did the ride in best condition, it just measures which horse carried the most weight.

--------

It depends on the vets.  A good vet score will outweigh the points a heavyweight gains over a lighter competitor in BC.  I, being a bit overweight myself, kind of like the way BC is set up.  It seems to be the only part of endurance that gives credit to the heavier rider; credit they deserve.  I don't care what math you use, heavy is heavy and a feather is a feather.  It does make a difference to the horse.  IN some cases, it makes a big difference.

How do I know this, you ask?  I'll tell you.  My kid and I ride the same horses.  She weighs in at 89 lbs, with tack.  I come close to being a heavyweight (I'm just a 6 pack short).  We have done enough rides to know that when the kid finishes a 50 on Rebel or War Cry, the horse isn't a bit tired.  They could both go on.  When I finish, and I rarely finish one,  Rebel has had enough and War Cry lies down to rest his tired legs.  Same rides, same horses, same pace, different weights.

If I ever get Jennifer on my Saddlebred, Dance Line, watch out!  I'm convinced the problems I have with my hyper explosive giraffe are greatly increased because of my girth.  If Jen rides him, this liability will be removed.  He probably won't win anything, but he'll be flying in to that first and second vet check.  Weight does matter; don't let anyone convince you otherwise.  Especially down here in the flatlands where the tiny hiney women run a 50 in under 4 hours and the fastest heavyweights, if they even finish, come in at 6 or 7 hours.

cya,

Howard (in my next life, I'm coming back as a featherweight female who owns a ton of Saddlebred/Arab crosses.  Watch out!)