Indiana Hoosier National Forest

This is from the AERC Trails Chairman, Jerry Fruth
It was forwarded to Jerry from Yvette Rollins
Yvette is with the Indiana Trail Riders Association

 Hello All,

 I would like to bring everyone up to date on the lawsuit filed by
Suzanne  Mittenthal and the Hoosier Hiker's Council (HHC) on 12/11/01.

 Suzanne and the HHC filed suit against the U.S. Forest Service and
James  Denoncour, Forest Ranger, Hoosier National Forest regarding
the reroutes in the  Deam Wilderness and the Parking Lot on Grubb
Ridge Road.

 Suzanne and HHC were opposed to the reroutes and the addition of 1.7
mile of  trail.  Her appeals to the Forest Service were heard and it
was found that she  did not have justification for the appeals.
Deciding not to let it drop at  that point Suzanne & HHC filed suit
in the United States District Court of  Southern Indiana.  The
document number is IP01-C-1882-Y/S you can find this  document on the
http://www.insd.uscourts.gov/ website if you would like to
keep  track of the court document.  In addition to the first filing,
they filed an  injunction to stop the work on the Grubb Ridge Loop
trail referred to by the  HHC as the Frog Pond Ridge loop.

 The hearing was supposed to be 2/7/02 but the Court VACATED the
preliminary  injunction hearing.  The court ordered the parties to
file any proposed  findings of fact and conclusion of law by 2/15/02.

 In all the documentation Suzanne has recommended that the solution
to the  problem would be to ban horses from the Deam Wilderness.

 The Indiana Trail Rider's, Hoosier Horsemen and Indiana Horse
Council have  talked to an attorney to represent the horse community
in the event that we  need to file as an intervener in the case.  The
ITRA and HHorsemen have set up  legal defense funds and are taking
donations for the attorney's fees.  If the  attorney for the Forest
Service decides that we should file separately instead  of them using
us a witness we will have the funds necessary.  Some people have
 asked what an intervener is,  To enter into a suit as a third party
for the  protection of an alleged interest.  We will need to prove
how the actions of  this lawsuit would affect the horse community if
Suzanne and the HHC were to  win their suit.

 Our Attorney is in direct contact with the attorney for the forest
service and  will let us know what the next step will be in this
procedure.  If the monies  collected do not need to be used in this
instance we will be prepared for the  next lawsuit.

 Thank you to so many for the support you have shown.

 If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

 Yvette Rollins, ITRA, HH & IHC