Newbie says thanks

To all of you who responded to my query of pulse rate lower at a canter--THANK
YOU.  The response with all the different possibilities was great.  I do think
that a number of you were correct.  His hair is long and problably causing the
electrodes to lose contact.  I didn't think that it would read higher with poor
contact but the double reading makes sense because his pulse rate is low at a
walk until we trot a bit.  His pulse rate would also get higher near the houses
with the horse chasing dogs.  We were riding alone and he does get a little more
nervous when we don't have company.  I also have a new endurance saddle on order
because I've been using a Western saddle that puts too much pressure on his
loins.  His most efficient gate probably is the canter.  He was bred to race and
loves to go, plus I two point at canter with him so I'm not on his back.  His
pulse rate is also probably higher because I feed him more oil and give him an
extra bit of fat because he doesn't tolerate the cold well.  I don't think the
easy boots freak him out, but I don't think he's gotten real comfortable with
them yet.  I hope it works for him because I don't like the cracks I see on his
hooves from the nail holes.  His feet look worse now than when I got him two
years ago with no shoes, a scraggly coat and very underweight.  The vet says he
looks great and he gets biotin supplements, but my barefoot mare's white, non
supplemented hoofs now look better than his.  We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,

Anna