Newbies at NC - Question for Karen

Janie Olson troton@aol.com
THis is interesting to read.  Karen - your views in particular.
Over the years, I really never have remembered who won the various AERC
national championships.  I do however, clearly remember many of the ROC
winners (both the horse and rider, and many of the finishers at the tough
years where only 16 riders finished) and many of the Tevis and Haggin Cup
teams.

Karen, I'd like you to roll back a few years to when you first started
endurance.  I remember reading all of your posts about your enthusiasm
towards competing and doing well in Tevis (anyone can read these in the
Ridecamp archives).  You were keeping a mileage tickler for your horse -
with goals to rack em up so to speak.  Initially, I didn't pay much
attention to your advice and comments as you were a newbie.  I had a lot
more respect for the successful long term riders.  I did enjoy your
enthusiasm though!  I even recall your distributing 'Dream Team' t-shirts
at Tevis your first time (with a picture of you and your horse).

So put yourself in that point in time.  Would you have been as
enthusiastic about the sport if you were told that you could not compete
in NC rides or Tevis or ROC or???  It would probably seem like AERC is a
closed club.  Think about it.