Pasture boarding and shoes?

How do you put your horses in pasture and compete regularly since they need shoes?  I've wondered this for a long time.  How do you guys do it?  I can't find a place with pasture anywhere near me that will let a horse with back shoes in (and probably rightfully so), and can't afford to lease an acre or so of land for 1 horse. I know people with your own places can fence off nice large paddocks for each horse, do you also put horses together if they have shoes?  It's so rocky here, I need shoes for conditioning and the rides.  If anyone has an answer to this I'd love to hear it.

This is not a barefoot vs. shoes debate topic.  I'm interested in the barefoot movement, but I'll wait until there's a little more research behind it, and more proof in the ride stats. Please this is a question for shod horse owners.