RE: newbie-pulse lower at canter?

Dear Anna,
After playing with this "barefoot thing' for over a year now, my thinking &
(Much Credit due Dr. Hiltrud Strasser and her research), is that the
boots/pads continue to constrict the circulation in the horses feet
especially at the lower speeds.  Once he is going faster in these particular
hoof protection devises, they are soft enough that he is able to get some
"hoof mechanism" back in his feet.  Therefore creating much additional blood
flow and circulation in his feet, making him more comfortable and lowering
his pulse.  Remember, the circulation in the feet is like 4 little hearts
down there.

We (barefooters) have found in some instances, that even the barefoot horse
will have a lower pulse when he is moving, (slowly at a walk), than merely
standing, again due to the increased circulation.  Along with other benefits
of being barefoot, I think the "Barefoot Endurance Riders" are just now
realizing and discovering what effects being barefoot has (advantageously)
on the pulse of the horse.  When a horse is shod and the foot has no chance
at "hoof mechanism" (moving as it strikes the ground & creating natural
circulation), we see no great difference in pulse performance as the
performance you noted on your heart monitor.

I don't pretend to know what all of this is going to mean in the long run,
as we're all still in an experimentation stage with it.  I do know that the
15 month old "bare foot" is an awesome advance over what was there before.
(I'm looking at approximately 30 competition horses as my examples).

 I just started studying Dr. Strasser "big book" and finished a clinic with
Todd Merrill (my 3rd barefoot seminar) and both really exhort the eventual
metabolic and internal damage all horses suffer from wearing shoes, (albeit
at different paces and levels.)

I'm also toying with the theory that every shod horse probably has a bit of
inflamed laminae after each tough competition.  Especially younger horses
that have not toughened up - so to speak.  They are not really lame, they
just don't look really right.  In a few days they get over it, & if you
don't race too often, its not a big immediate problem, however, if you race,
say.... once a month and continue irritating that laminae, that horse ends
up real sore, maybe even erupts into a full laminitic blowout.  So you rest
him 6 months or so, shoe him again & maybe even pad to protect him....
still, he's not getting the circulation he needs and eventually you end up
with a sore horse again.  Finally you decide, welllll... this horse just
isn't going to make it in Endurance and you move on to another.

Now, I'm leaving tomoro on a road trip, racing "barefoot of course" so I
won't be able to return comments on above, but hope my fellow "barefooters"
will put n their 2 cents if they like.  And please... if the above sounds
really confusing to you, I suggest you read Hiltrud's wonderful little book,
"LIFETIME OF SOUNDNESS".  It will explain all of this much better than my
awkward attempts.
djbd

Darolyn Butler-Dial  AERC #25   21,000 miles & riding "barefoot"

             CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE

             Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.

Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties

Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological
Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)

ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")

21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338

        Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768

      e mail: darolyn@swbell.net <mailto:darolyn@swbell.net>
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/