Re: RC: NC qualifications/ AERC in general

>So I ask, why does the AERC NC have to be any different?  Why is it that
>my 25 years of horse experience is not good enough for me to even compete
>against you?  Do you not have faith that the vets would be able to
>determine that my horse was being harmed?  Or are you just scared that an
>individual might just have the knowledge and the sense to ride well and
>win the race even without having been a member of AERC for the last
>quarter century?

Megan,
There aren't people in AERC "against" novices. Just against the idea that
someone who has completed only 2 endurance rides can be a national champion.
It isn't reasonable to determine who is qualified on an individual case by
case basis. Obviously you're not a novice, but that's not the point. There
has to be a varifiable record that is the same for all entrants.
Even with your short ride season, 2 seasons should be enough to get
qualified for the NC even by the stricter standards being mentioned.  Since
it should take that long (at a bare minimum) for a horse to be ready to
compete at that level, I hardly see it as an unreasonable requirement.
The real issue seems to be that horse/rider combo requirement. It is my
understanding the rational is that AERC philosophy is to promote long term
horse/rider relationships & discourage buying a "made" horse and taking it
right to the championship.
Perhaps it is that philosophy that people want to see changed?
Nancy Mitts