FW: Saddle Fit

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-request@endurance.net
[mailto:ridecamp-request@endurance.net]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:40 PM
To: Desgrange, Verlane
Subject: RE: Saddle Fit

Your post to Ridecamp (ridecamp@endurance.net) was rejected
for one of the following reasons:

1. You are not a registered subscriber to Ridecamp. If this is the
case, you may register at http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp or
you may use the Guest form which is also available at
http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/

2. You are a registered subscriber, but the email address in the
Sender/ReplyTo field of your message does not EXACTLY match your
subscription email address. (e.g. fast@horse.com vs fast@mail.horse.com)

3. You may have been removed from the list. If your server is rejecting
email because of a full mailbox or technical difficulties, the message
bounces back to the Ridecamp server as 'not able to deliver this message'.
After several unsuccessful attempts to deliver messages, the Ridecamp
software will automatically remove the 'bad' email address from the
list. If you suspect that this is the case, you may go to the Registered
Ridecamp Subscriber form available at http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/
and re-subscribe.

If you continue to have problems posting to Ridecamp, please contact
Steph Teeter at step@endurance.net.
Dear Melanie,

I'm aware that lots of folks ride these "treeless" saddles, but as a
saddlemaker I have one big problem with them: they lack a tree for stability
on your horse's back. These are essentially a saddle that is constructed of
a 1" thick saddle pad material with an arch (fork) in the front and an arch
(cantle) in the back, both of which are supposed to confer stability on the
horse's back. When a saddlemaker orders a tree, (s)he will order the pitch
on the bars to match that of your horse's back. To the best of my knowledge,
you cannot order the pitch on the front and rear arches on these to match
your horse's back shape.

These "saddles" are basically a glorified saddle pad that do not distribute
the rider's weight evenly over the horse's back as would a saddle with a
tree in it. And you don't need a big heavy roping saddle to have correct
weight distribution either. Any saddle with a tree in it will do this simple
function, as long as the tree fits the hoorse's back in the first place.

 From what you're describing, it sounds as though the rear arch is rubbing
on your horse's back because the pitch is too steep for your horse and thus
putting pressure on a small area of his back on either side of the spinal
column (in the cantle area). If your horse has a lot of "rear end" movement
when he trots out long, this "wiggle" in his movement may be causing the
"saddle" to rub back and forth in the cantle area. Even a saddle with a tree
may do this, but there is less likelyhood of this happening when the pitch
of the bars matches the pitch on the horse's back (think pitch of a roof).
So,as an analogy, if you put a steeply pitched church steeple on a
reasonably flat roof, the very edges are going to put a lot of pressure in
some very concentrated places on the flat roof, possibly causing the church
steeple to crack the roof where the contact points are. I'm going to guess
without seeing your horse, this could be the case.

Unless you change the shape of the saddle to fit the horse's back, you're
likely to repeat this problem. Let your horse heal and then look for a
saddle with the correct pitch for horse's back.

As to sliding forward when going downhill, a crupper will fix it. Your horse
apparently has no shoulders to hold a saddle downhill, but plenty of rib
spring to keep it in place going uphill. A comfortable well fitted crupper
should help, but always try on any new gear on your horse in a safe enclosed
pen first before heading out on a short ride.If y our horse has never worn a
crupper before, be prepared for some possible silly behavior. Work him on a
longe line before mounting. That way you can observe his reactions. When you
feel it's safe to do so, get on. Have another person present, just in

 When you get back from a short ride, check your horse for soreness,
tenderness, heat, swelling, or anything that could spell trouble on a longer
ride. Correct the problem immediately before going forward with any new
item.

Verlane Desgrange
Master saddler and saddlemaking instructor, Spokane Falls College