<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] some LD and quit picking on howard
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:17 GMT 2003
  • - Deanna German
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] some LD and quit picking on howard - Howard Bramhall

    Whew, that's a relief.  I thought Joe was running for President of the Hate
    Howard Club.  Thanks, Joe, I needed some good news to help me get thru the
    Holidays.

    You did make one error though, but, that's OK since you've never really met
    me in person.  There is no way that I have ever thought those who don't
    agree with me are stupid.  I am the stupid one here, and if you don't see
    that in my posts, than, there's no point in really reading any of them.
    ESPECIALLY THE STORIES!

    Please, don't bother trying to dissect Howard or analyze him.  It's a waste
    of your valuable time.  Howard doesn't understand Howard so I doubt if
    you'll be able to.

    The strange fact is I actually enjoy ya'll picking on me.  My rationale is
    that I got your attention, even if some of your reaction to it all is quite
    negative.  Speak out, tell us what you think.  If it makes yourself feel
    good to call me a "moron, idiot, childish, nincompoop" by all means feel
    free to do so.  I think that sort of thing kind of tells me more about you
    than it does about me.  So, please, hold nothing back, let it all out.

    AS far as the LD thread goes, of course I exaggerated to try and make a
    point. I have a tendency to do this. But, please look at all ten of the
    reasons I posted and I bet you'll find one or two that hit home.  I no
    longer do LD's, or, just one or two a year (Leatherwood), so, I probably
    should not even try to speak for this group of riders.  I realize not all
    regions are alike, and, even down here in the Southeast, not all rides are
    alike, especially when it comes to the LD portion.  We do actually have
    rides that treat LDers as equals and those are the rides that I attend over
    and over again.  It's the way it should be.

    LD has evolved; it has changed.  I've seen it change in just the 4 years
    I've been doing endurance.  Joe is right, I don't really know all the
    history of this sport.  The info I get is from old timers like himself, and
    it might be tainted.  I wasn't there.  In spite of that, I really do believe
    the LD should be exactly like a true endurance ride.  And, I think the time
    for a change is now.  The LD has become more popular than any other
    distance.  We need to realize this and to respond to it.

    I'm glad we're talking about this subject.  It needs to be discussed.  Even
    if some of you have to respond by going after me personally, that's just
    fine.  You, obviously, need somewhere to vent your rage, to show others how
    self-righteous and condescending you can be, and, I enjoy getting that type
    of email more than you know.  I'm sorry if I don't meet your definition of
    what a true endurance rider is; I didn't know we had one.  But, I do
    appreciate you showing me the errors of my ways and pointing out where I
    took a wrong turn on the trail.  For you, Laura Hayes and Susan Vuturo, and
    all the other grandiose, superior endurance riders who seem to be the only
    ones who really know the true definition of the phrase, I'll try to do
    better.  After all, I only have one direction to travel.

    cya,
    Howard