<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 02.0919
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:19 GMT 2003
  • - Alice Yovich
  • - Alice Yovich

    Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 02.0919 - Bonnie Davis

    HI Alice:

    My daughter, Becky, started to ride when she was about 9 years old.  Put her on a pony first and then at 11 she graduated to a full size horse.  She had to ride for at least 15 minutes everyother day at first and when she didn't want to, turn Bubbles loose in the outdoor arena.  When she rode a full size horse, Chip had to be ridden 30 minutes every other day or turned out into the outdoor arena to run around.  Along with the riding, she had to help clean her own stall and brush Bubbles or Chip.  I'm a firm believer that kids have to be told and not asked if they want to clean the stall and the horse -- and there were days when Becky didn't want to go to the barn but she went anyway.  A horse is a responsibility.  I think the secret is to let the kid do what they want to a point and then point out they have to do the other stuff.  But then I'm from the 'old school' of child rearing where kids had chores and did what parents told 'em to do -- in stead of parents doing what kids tell them to do.

    Becky never rode endurance -- no interest there.  I let her decide what direction she wanted to ride in.  Today she's married with two sons and juggles three horses, teaches kids basic riding (and safety), helps on three or four ranches and is out today helping to sort, brand, worm and move cattle to pasture.

    One thing I'd like to say to EVERYONE out there with kids -- teach 'em safety around horses!!  Don't walk up behind a horse.  Don't tie the leadrope to a wrist.  Wear shoes around a horse.  Don't ride in the barn.  Teach 'em the blind spots on horses.  Talk to a horse so he knows where you are.  Don't tease a horse with carrots or apples and it's not safe to let a horse try to pull a carrot from a pocket.

    Now for a commercial -- there's a video called "Hit the Trails" that has a short segment at the end of how to get a kid ready to trail ride.  They talk about tack, size of animal, kids wear and then taking a child on a trail ride.  It's on my website, www.twohorseenterprises.com.

    Also -- remember, how hard you push a kid and how much fun and enjoyment they get out of it will determine how LONG they'll continue to ride.....so make it fun and let them decide how far and how fast they want to go and in what direction of equine involvement.

    Bonnie Davis