<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Multi-day Horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:41:59 GMT 2003
  • - Susan Young Casey
  • - Sullivan

    Re: [RC] Multi-day Horses - Heidi Smith

    The whole concept of "bone" has been blown out of proportion by too many in the endurance world.  Substance and bone need to be sufficient FOR THE SIZE OF THE HORSE.  eg--A horse that only weighs 800 lbs and has 7-1/4" of bone has OODLES of bone.  By the same token I would not be bragging about a horse that is 15:3, weighs 1150, and has 8-1/2--proportionately, he has LESS bone than the smaller horse.   Cannon circumference is NOT a concept that has any meaning UNLESS it is correlated to the overall size of the horse.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Sullivan
    Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 9:53 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Multi-day Horses

    This seems to be on topic and I am also interested in comments.  There seems to be a huge trend towards big-boned horses. While I think horses certainly need sufficient bone to carry their own weight...isn't  the Arab described as more of a "fine-boned" breed anyway?  And, isn't that bone supposed to be of a very fine and strong texture?

    As far as the horse mentioned below....how tall and heavy is the horse?

    Would be great at some time to have a database with statsitics on high-mileage horses, their size, weight, cannon bone measurements, bloodlines, etc.

    Karen