calf abrasions

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so I appologize if this
has already been suggested.  I had the same problem and shin splints.  I
solved the problem by getting good half chaps, then changing the way I rode.
  First, I changed to always posting, never standing in the saddle.  Second,
I concentrated on resting my weight on the back of my thighs, instead of
concentrating on the stirrup or even my heel.  At first I felt like I was
riding behind the vertical, but actually, it was a good postion.  Problem
was solved!