Down but not counted out. (long) caution

carla lawson robandcarla@endurance.net
While I was out enjoying my myself on Monday, one of my "kids" had a life
threatening accident. First thing I preach to these kids is wear a helmet.
Well kid wasn't wearing helmet....Angels must have been watching over him
and his family. Because What I am about to tell you will leave you shocked
as it made me fall to my knees knowing one of my "kids" almost died, right
along with his horse.
They were haveing a family outing, previously I was talking to his mom and
dad that week. They had come by the store to meet with me about Horse
Fair. I joked where was the kids Tony told me in the last 16 years they
never was a night that they were not with the kids. They were always
together every night.
During this family outing on a trail a small section goes over a bridge.
The visability on this bridge is about 100 yards both sides. The bridge is
extra wide to accomodate many transfers that cross it. This accident
should have never happened in theory!
 They line up single file there are 6 riders. As they cross the bridge a
driver going the same way begins to approach. Passes 5 of the riders and
hits Bobby and Cherrokee. The horse goes one way the rider goes over the
bridge and 25 feet down in the ravine and creek. The horse survived for a
few minutes and passed. The rider was crawling up the creek embankment to
get to his horse. The saddle was found 100 feet away with the girth still
attached. This kid WAS NOT wearing a helmet. He is slightly beaten up not
a broken bone and a few scratches. The family was devestated over the fact
they almost lost their boy. I fell to my knees at the store when I was
told. I felt as if I was kicked in the stomach when they told me. I feel
as if they did everything as safe as possible and the driver was severely
at fault. (state troopers confirmed this) but it was so freaky. I hate
they lost a great horse. Cherrokee was a little 14 hand arab that did
everything in 4H. I tried to sell him here for them he was a great horse
that gave his all till the end. As Bobby says he is down but don't count
him out. I still preach the helmet debate but that is another discussion.
I promised Rob I would never ride on a paved road again unless it was
closed off. Becareful Ridecampers...the roads are not safe for a horse
anymore.... *Sigh*
Carla (going to go hug my horse now)
Ansata (I bow my head in honor of a great horse)
Haley (ditto)
Rob (going to go hug my wife and horse)