PowWow Crash and Flip

FROM   Roger Rittenhouse     roger@vmaxept.com
(of course this is long)
Well the  first ride of the new season was not so great.

We did our last ride at JD55 HW ride, ran fast did well. JDs ride was
just   two weeks after another flat land fast race. So I though it was
best to stop while still in good shape. I chose not to got to Fla for
any more 'sand' racing. He needed the time off. I pulled shoes and let
him go all of Dec.
We started back working barefoot in the soft field and my trails
behind the house, not too many rocks. I just filed his walls round
kept toes short and use the hoof harder Crossapol every day.

Put shoes on him two weeks before the Camp Osborne ride. Now I had to
do some serious works but the weather was 'agin' us. We only got in
about 5 or 6 short rides.
I felt he was in 'good enough' shape for a sensible 50, easy flat new
ride , just had to go.

Well got there on FRI- it was packed .. what do riders do, take off on
THUS and go set up camp. Had a good spot in the back.

I was not sure how I was going to ride this one. LOTS of top riders. so
that killed thoughts of TT. So if figured just top 20 and first HW would
be real good for our first ride.
Just how much fitness do they loose from Nov 30 till Jan 26 anyhow. He
at least 10 'ride sessions' over his time out.

It was suppose to be hot - was not  - was great weather. I never clip
so I just figured use more water.
We started close to the front and let him go out at a well controlled
rolling pace. FIRST thing I noted was the trail was full of holes. The
ones that come from NEW bull-dozed trails. Most were marked. We hit a
few on the first 13 mile loop - almost went down on one but he balanced
nice and we moved on. Came in off the loop  1:21  good time. Pulsed
down to 57 in 7 minutes. We had to make 60. All was A but  his normal
B on guts. CRI 56/48   With a 40 min hold and he did eat and drink
some- not as much as I
liked but OK .

SO I figured he was doing ok it was  time to pick it up a bit. The next loop
was 11 ( I think) It was faster and a better trail more FLAT RUNNING
dirt roads. We were doing great passing a few and he drank well at the
water stops. Working HR well under what I expected for the work he was
doing. I started to think he was in better shape then I thought.
About 8 miles out we slugged though some real slop bogs and then
Mellisa Crain comes along and I thought I would go with her. Well we
were just pulling out of the mud and started to pick a good trot

WHEN the ground under his front disappeared. BOTH front legs dropped
into a hole.
He went up and flipped to his right side- I think, I went up and
straight down into the dirt sand stones leaves etc. I think he missed
me by inches.
Of course I hit hard on the back of the helmet then my face was driven
into the dirt and then into my chest .. can you just hear the
snapping and cracking?

I saw stars and dark .. for a few second .. yelled a few choice words.
When I looked up there was no horse -   I
rolled over - saw OMNI running to Mellisa who got his rope and came
back.

I sat up weeble wobble  and note a large amount of warm stuff coming
from the right side of my face.. which was numb.

Of course I did the 'normal'; stupid endurance  rider trick and tried
to stand. Flopped back down. Mellisa asked how I was  - I think my
response is not repeatable. I could wiggle all four points. got a hold
of the rope and stood up again. Well guess the neck was not broken.
But I did note my head seemed to move about too much...

I told Mellisa to go on ( she did and finished 10th)
Next two riders came by and asked did I fall in the BIG hole back there
in the middle of the trail .. guess so.

I sat there for few minutes they went on . I stood up and started to
walk out. I did note all this blood coming from my mouth, seems the lip
was split. So I wadded the neckerchief I ride with and stuck it in my
mouth.
The walking thing was not getting anywhere, so with a guess of 3 miles
to go I remounted.
Now try to ride a horse who was just a racing a few minutes ago, when
he can see all theses horses passing and riding off down the trail.
Every jerk and jiggle just flung me around like a rag doll and of
course by then I noted my neck was in quite a bit of pain.

So as we slow trotted in, I thought about all the stuff we are told
when we get knocked on the head  to just lay still in the middle of the
trail and wait for the next racing horse to run you over and finish
the job.

We arrived. Jaye looked at me and asked if I was OK ????
I slid off the saddle and hit the ground - felt like I was hit with a
pile driver , almost went down then.. said  blah blah  hellno...

Of course I HAD to get OMNI vetted through. Figured out I just may not be
able to do it. Jaye took of the saddle. Kim Williams co-manger, took
him over with me babbling out instruction of how to do it ..
I would not sit down until I saw him go.. then I had to see his card
right? Heck with the rider hows the horse?
All A - B+ on guts  no cri - ride time 1:18 with the crash - good time.

I now thought things were just not right.
They found a neck brace, wow oh wow that did hurt putting that on.
I sat down  then began to crash.
BUT I wanted to know what my out time was hehehe
I was told the ambulance was coming.
NOPE I did not need that - all I needed was a few aspirin or pain killer
and to stop this bleeding from my smashed mouth.
Bad thing about sitting down and letting the endorphines wear off, you
really crash fast.
The EMTS started asking questions, but since my wife works in a ER and
in XRAY, I knew the answers and the questions and then the they loaded me
on the back board and into the wagon.
Kim put OMNI in the pen and off we went .
Two points- back board are a real pain in the ... butt etc and those
ambulances are a real mess to ride in.

Had to wait about an hour until they fixed the ONE and ONLY xray
machine .. that was fun.
Had to repeat the whole story to the nurse, the doctor and the xray
tech.
Crosstable C spine showed  'C" process were ok.. BUT it sure hurt like
H.. so I left the neck brace on.
Ran through CT and then more XRAY.
All was well??
Put on  a soft neck brace.
Got a very good DRUG shot in the butt.

I waited for  the managers father? to pick me up. we stopped by the
drug store for scriptmeds.
Then back to camp.

TO show you how intense this was. I got back checked the time -
thought about putting on the solid neck brace and taking off. But as I
moved about I realized this was a RNOP DNF
RIDER had NO OPTION - pull.
Bummer.
Sat back at the rig with OMNI.
Who was fine. I had Kim trot him out  SOUND and full of it. I could
not belive he was not hurt.
Turns out the only thing I found wrong was a sore back a raised area
on the RIGHT side. I assumed the saddle hit ground and drove into his
back along with the twist. It was gone by Sunday.

So now what. I cant drive - I am taking drugs cant turn my head and
feel like I was run over.
I stayed over on Sunday  - watched 'smash mouth' football and just
walked my boy around - slowly.

I drove home on Monday. Stopped just north of Atlanta in a truck stop ,
he had hay feed and water and I slept for a hour or so.  6 hour trip
took over 8. But we got home OK , he took off and ran all over the
place.
I crashed
Not a happy camper/rider. Still hurt. Will be going to an orthopod
this week. I just have to be in shape for the Hallelujah  Feb 23. I
was planning on the 75 if he did good at this one. Guess I will drop back to
the 50. I surely can ride with the neck brace and a few helper pills??

All joking aside.
I thank GOD that OMNI is OK.
AS I said at the rider meeting,
I am still here - for two reasons