Re: RC: PrePurchase Vet Exam

If had listened to my consciences, I would have done a PP exam on OMNI
and I would not have bought about the best horse I have ever rode.

Short background. I purchased OMNI from a well know very good shoer,
and  an endurance vet was involved.

I 'fell' for this horse from the moment he entered the arena - going
free-style. He was sound and moved correct. I watched the owner ride
him - alleged to be  'dressage level 1 going on 2'
It was more like Novice going down.. but thats another story.

I rode him and we clicked - paid the price  - had him shod  picked him
up 2 days later -- no PP exam done.

Two weeks later I was riding up this 'small hill' to Star Mtn with the
'vet' - who looked over and announced  'your horse is lame  left rear'
and looked away.
OK - seems the horse was judged just fine a few weeks back.

After a few months of work and feeble attempt at a NATRC ride - which
he completed without much manners. We went to another where he came up
lame LR after a day of control issues and lots of bucking.

Off to UT where the best  at Big Orange declared ' he really is  a
mess'
Had very bad sidebones  both front and a bit of DJD in both hocks.
Basically lame in  all 4
Prognosis - he will never make it, so I should sell him.

Well I really liked this horse. So we went to a Johns Lyon clinic to
learn how to correct all his 'dressage' training.
 I went over the details with a good sharp shoer from Marysville Tn ( Scott Denman)

He improved his way of going and balance and we put him on adaquen
etc.
I had him up for sale, but I 'told all' - so of course no one wanted
him. So we just went to work like nothing was wrong.
We did our 1st 50 miler  a make it break it ride  at Summer breeze in
AUG  100 deg with 90% humidity. He was sound and ready for for more. I
took him off the market

He came up lame again so back to UT again and the recommendation was
to sell him to a nice pleasure rider.

I then ran into  a shoer -from GA, Jaye Perry.  Jaye is NOT your
'normal' shoer by any concept. He tries all sorts of things. After two
sessions with Jaye and in-between resets by Scott, I had a new horse.
We 'manage' his problems.
Use wide rim hard steel plates with small pin point drive in studs at
all heels.
Luwex Pads
Rear - put him i 2 deg rim pads
Front full pad with assorted packing to increase sole pressure to
expand the heels. We tried heel springs and cut out the bars a bit
each time to open the heels and take the stress off the sidebones.
After few setting we could see a difference.

The results of this assortment of procedures is proven by his record to date.
I had him back to UT one more time, to get the hocks injected. They
would not do it, he was sound behind, xrays should very little DJD -
getting the front to rear balance fixed taking the stress off the
hocks m3/m4 - as well as the IM adequen and IM Glucosamine was the
solution.

Front end sidebones were still there but no worse. He fractured one at
a notorious 'race' in New Mexico.

I owe the success of this horse to BOTH of my shoers. Without the
knowledge and intense attitude of Jaye and the willingness of Scott to
follow the directions from Jaye, this horse would not be what he is
today.  Jaye says he is 5% shoer. That is a GOOD shoer can get your
horse shod 90% correct, he likes to claim he gets that other 5%  and
closing in on 99% shod correctly.

Had I taken him to UT for a PP exam I would not have purchased him.

Both of us have worked though the all the issues a good endurance team
goes though. It took that magical 3 years to come together as a real
team.
He has to be ridden very well balanced to keep the torque off the front
end, I have to be  careful with the un-even trails. I have found
where he excels - flat land racing.

I would have missed all the adventures we have shared. The NC50 2
years ago. Working over and trough the travel-camp-stress thing.

But last year we had a greatest success. A very fast 25 to let him run
and see if he could take it,
 a mini multi 25/25, and 2 fast racing 50/55 with one at 4:56 -
 fastest 50 I ever ran.  Yes- I do admit I RACED and we had a blast,
 Going fast with fit sound horse is a real rush.

I also had to see if I could work with the challenge and see what
could be done. While all the other factors of saddles and feeding and
riding balanced were/are very important, the most important significant
 issue with his success is these two shoers who keep him moving balanced
 - shod correctly for his way of going and SOUND.

We started this year off with a bang crash -- but that was just one
ride and that is the next story.

Sure glad I DID NOT get a PP exam
Roger R