stopover suggestions needed

My husband and I are traveling from Craig, CO, down to Phoenix, AZ, in mid-March to a NATRC ride (Estrella Mountain) and would like some suggestions of a place or places where we could pull over for the night.  We will be heading south from Moab down Hwy 191 to Mexican Water, then on Hwy 160 through Kayenta and Tuba City to 89 to Flagstaff and I-17 down to Phoenix....we will leave Craig about 2pm on a Thursday afternoon and I doubt we would be able to make it as far as Flagstaff before needing to stop for the night.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to pull over between Moab and the AZ State Line?  We have a living quarters and could tie the horses to it, so just a place where we could safely (and legally) pull in for a few hours' sleep would be great...
thanks
Betty Wolgram