All my problems solved (Long)

Well,
 For those of you who know I have been having foot problems with my mare,
I am hoping I got a good farrier out here on Saturday. He got Arabi's
hind shoes off, and gave me some interesting news. Before I get to the
news, I would like to relate some of the problems I had. Especially with
someone who instead of condemning me, should have offered a hand of
helping.
 I got Arabi in August. I have NEVER had a mare, only geldings, and THAT
was over twelve years ago. I got her foal weaned alright and they both
started putting on weight and looking good. Then the foot problems hit
and I had to take riding easy.
 I was told at a clinic, her saddle didn't fit. Next day went out and
bought a new one. I read all I could about electrolytes, beet pulp (which
is part of their staple diet), switched to pellets to keep her sweating
down, give grain, etc.
 Then the day of a major CTR ride approaches. I have been  having trouble
with her feet, so maybe someone at the ride can help. If I can't make it
through the first and only vet check, then maybe the vet can recommend
someone. We are of course last into the vet check because of her foot
problems. Low and behold my major problem awaits.
 A know-it-all decides I need a lesson in learning to feed my horse. She
looks "wormy" of course I give her the whole story, how I got Arabi in
August, yes she was with a stallion till I brought her home. Yes she
might be pregnant, and that I was there looking for someone to tell me of
a good farrier to help me out.
 Well, this "well-meaning" person gives me a course in how I am not being
a good horseman, that I need to have a fecal done on her. I really should
talk to someone about proper feeding, and should not put weight on her
back any more. (I am a  heavyweight and she is only 14.2).
 Of course, some of you are already guessing what the farrier told me.
YES I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDMA! Arabi is VERY pregnant! The farrier
reached back and tugged very gently on her teat, and wallah! Milk! No,
the colt has not nursed since they have been back together. Arabi won't
let him, or ANYONE near her back end.
 So, for those of you who think "Know your horse" is a dumb statement, if
I hadn't "known" Arabi, I could have caused serious problems. I listened
to her. I knew she was off. I knew she was in pain, and I knew something
was wrong. I am just glad it was this and not something much more
devastating.
 I think I will still have some foot problems, but hopefully the right
farrier will come along. I am praying by the time she is ready to start
work, her feet will be ready too! :0) Look out folks, I think we are a
well matched pair. When we hit the trails, Howard, look out! 'Cause HERE
WE COME! :0)

In His Hands,
Lisa P.
www.outbackacres.com
North Central Florida
Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground.