<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Advice on riding other peoples horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:56 GMT 2003
  • - Michael Maul
  • - Bonnie Davis

    Re: [RC] [RC] Advice on riding other peoples horses - DeAnn M. Schnepple

    Jennifer, I have let people ride my endurance horses and I have a dear friend that has let me ride hers.  I think it really depends on how well the person knows you.  They should feel free to tell you how they expect you to ride their horse too (do they want to to start off with the front runners, start in the middle of the pack or our they the type of person that just says "listen to the horse").  If that's the case, you better make sure you have ridden that horse more than a few times.  About 7 years ago I let a friend ride one of my horses on a 50  and she was riding with me the entire time.  I told her when she got to the deep sand she needed to walk the horse.  Did she do that? NO.  The horse bowed a tendon and she was pulled!  The friendship survived, but I still to this day remember that she did not listen to me.
    Good luck and have fun!

    -------Original Message-------

    Date: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 02:03:11 PM
    Subject: [RC] Advice on riding other peoples horses

    I am interested in opinions (I know you all got them;-) on riding other peoples experienced horses.  I'm considering an invite to ride an experienced horse at a multi day ride outside my region.  A ride I would not be able to get to, even IF my horse were ready for it, which he is not.  It seems to me to be a great opportunity to learn and experience an endurance ride with help from a seasoned horse and rider.  And it just seems like fun;-)  I obviously would ride very conservatively and rely heavily on my host riding with me.  Any thoughts on potential pros and cons?  Anyone have a good or bad experience in a similar situation?  Thabks, Jennifer.

    Do you Yahoo!?