<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Making Dog Food!
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:27 GMT 2003
  • - Laura Hayes
  • - Deanna German

    Re: [RC] Making Dog Food! - Sullivan

    Kathy,

    You will notice several omissions from that article.  Parelli does  NOT adress the horse that once HAD been trained to tie, but now uses it to get out of situations it plain does not want to do ( having mouth touched, etc).  And, at the end of the article, he makes no mention that this horse, with all this training....should be trained to be tied to a solid object!!  I am not talking about a truly panicked horse, but a spoiled one.

    As an example...I trained my  baby to tie, using methods similiar to Lyons.  In a very gentle, and progressive way/
    She was handled a lot, and went a lot of places, also.  There came a day, however, when she decided she did not want to tie.  Period. Pull back, etc.  One session with a be-nice-halter (which, by the way, is designed FOR THIS, and releases pressure when they come forward), was all it took to convince her that being tied meant being tied.  No matter what the other horses were doing, etc.

    Even with the young horses....no matter how "natural", ,kind, progressive, savvy or whatever you want to call a gentle approach....there WILL be a point there is something they DON'T want to do.  You WILL have to make them do it!!
    Or they start learing bad habits.  Will they pull back, buck, rear?  Hopefully, if you have instilled compliance, through
    repitition and reward......the obeidience will come with nobody getting hurt.
    Karen