<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Break Their Neck Training
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:27 GMT 2003
  • - SandyDSA
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] Break Their Neck Training - Sullivan

    Here is another example.  My daughter and I bought an Anglo Arab that just fussed and fussed with the bit.  AFter checking teeth, naturally, we spend hours and hours by her side, with the rein, "asking" her to give to the bit, gently, side to side.  IIt was the mildest snaffle we could find.  Over and over (to teach the response). She still fussed and pulled with the bit, and didn't pay attention when you rode her.

    So....finally I did what my friends trainer did.....put her in a stall, saddled and bitted up.  Tied lightly to the side of the saddle (very little bend to head).  Left her to pull and figure it out  In her case, she HAD to learn she could just NOT pull away from bit pressure, but would get the relief when she gave to the pressure.  Heck if it didnt' work!  Thsi is  NOT John Lyons method....and I always thought it a bad idea.  But it worked with this horse.

    In the case of the new horse....I will again defend my method.  Becuase this horse learned it did not have to tie, with these people and learned the bad habit that pulling back or backing up will get her own way...in two years, they did not (becuase could not) worm her.....vaccinate her....and the shoes had been on for at least 6 months.....the daugther had been forbidden from handling the horse becasue the mother felt she was dangerous . I fail to see how this was a good situation for this horse.  Had I not taken her...they were going to call animal control to come get the horse.  In that case, she would have been autioned off to highest bidder....could have ended up at livestock auction, or sold to family with kids....I stand by my gut feeling that if this horse was not reformed , she was going to hurt someone.

    There is another whole theory of tying  Pony club subscribes to this, and many people who work with expensive show horses...and that is to NEVER tie the horse.....horse tied to baling twine loops.  So, it if does set back, the baling twine breaks before the horse pulls too hard.. In my opinion, this teaches them they can get loose whenever it apeals to them.  This translates to always haveing to be by and watch your horse at shows......I just feel it is a bad idea.  If it was accepted as the "safe way to do things":, well, the sport of Ride and Tie would never take place!

    Karen

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 6:59 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Break Their Neck Training

    "John Lyons tying methods work great as a training method with horses that have not learned to give to pressure.  There is a world of difference between them, and a spoiled horse, that ONCE knew what to do, but due to clueless people learned it could pull back-rear-buck-kick etc, when it did not want to do something"

    25 years ago I learned, accidentally, about spoiled horses.  I had been converted to "natural horsemanship".  My son's mare started avoiding the bit.  I spent many hours doing the head drop etc. with no positive results.  One day I lost my temper and hit her smartly on the nose.  She immediately droped her head and opened her mouth!  In that case she:

    1. Knew what she was supposed to do.
    2. Was not scared.
    3. Just didn't want to do it, until things were explained in a different manner.

    The problem is in figuring out why the problem is happening.  Once that is done the solution is sometimes easy.

    Ed
    Ed and Wendy Hauser
    1140 37th Street
    Hudson, WI 54016