<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] English boots v. paddocks and half-chaps
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:28 GMT 2003
  • - Libby & Quentin Llop
  • - Becky Huffman

    Re: [RC] English boots v. paddocks and half-chaps - Milinda Ellis

    Tall boots can become terribly uncomfortable in the summer -- especially in Texas.  I can no longer wear tall boots (because I can't afford the ones that would fit my 16.75" [bare] calves).  One of the things I like about wearing half chaps is you can take them off and get some air to your legs without removing your boot/shoe.  This is especially important if your feet swell and you can't get your boots back on...  I'm able to foxhunt, even on formal days, wearing half chaps and short boots. However, those days are for Ariat Crownes (which FYI, fit more tightly than half chaps normally do -- even other Ariats).  Sometimes, it is more cost-effective to wear half chaps -- especially if you ride through a lot of briars or on skinny trails along barbed wire fences. Also easier to pull them off if you're injured than wrestling with tall boots, especially if they fit like they're supposed to!

    Milinda Ellis
    Beargrass Cleveland Bays
    Jewett, Texas
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 8:09 PM
    Subject: [RC] English boots v. paddocks and half-chaps

    English boots vs.paddocks and half-chaps  - anyone care to share an opinion on this subject? I have a pair of winter riding boots that are tall, English style and I really like them. They are comfortable and I like the way they look. But I'm wondering about summer time - would a pair of English style tall leather boots be as comfortable as a pair of paddocks and half-chaps???? Any thoughts? It seems that in terms of price, either set up is comparable, I'm wondering about comfort on long rides.

    Lysane