<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Training for Issues (was Electric Fences)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:56 GMT 2003
  • - Becky Huffman
  • - Karla Watson

    Re: [RC] Training for Issues (was Electric Fences) - Laurie Durgin

    John Lyons teaches you how to do these things exactly in his books, particularily "Condition with Cues" three some.OR his video tape series, or his newsletter Perfect horse. The despooking, calm down cue, giving to pressure, standing tied, etc. are more than worth the money. He even recently came out with a notebook, you can buy in sections on 'cardstock' to take to the barn with you and He breaks everything down into steps. Once you understand the way to teach  your horse the only other reason is "couch potatoness" (which honestly I suffer from occasionally too . :}. (and he is very cautious in his methods,no rodeoing, or dangerous stuff.) Laurie and Rascal (who would be perfect if she trained him more on couch days!)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Val Nicoson
    Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 11:31 AM
    To: lanconn@xxxxxxx
    Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Training for Issues (was Electric Fences)

    Bottom line, it's TRAINING and good judgement. I teach
    my horses to hobble; I teach them that "when you get
    hung up, STOP AND WAIT FOR ME TO GET YOU OUT OF IT.
    It's not hard...just basic training. Spend some time
    tangling them up in rope, hang it around their feet,
    hang crap all over them...if you think you might
    encounter the situation at a ride, you damn well
    better train for it.<<<<<

    I too agree with training horses to accept many things
    and the more I learn, by golly, the more I want to
    teach my mare.  The only issue being...how does one
    safely (for handler and horse) go about this???  How
    does one go about training for issues without losing
    the horse's trust of the rider and/or handler?  Also,
    once the horse is into any kind of jam...how does one
    go about getting the horse to calm down and not go
    nuts or getting hurt while you go about untangling the
    horse or whatever?
    These things are great...now how about passing on some
    knowledge so others can safely train their horses?
    To be more specific...unless I purposely hang my only
    riding saddle under my mare...how does one go about
    this (definitely interested)?  My friend's horse
    freaked when this happened while she was mounting and
    afterwards he returned to the trailer...but that was
    on her own property.  It resulted from the horse not
    liking to be cinched too tightly and since then he has
    been cinched up better and now rarely bats an eye at
    getting cinched.  But that is not something I can do
    in a boarded stable situation (or can I without other
    boarders freaking out over my craziness??  They
    already think I'm crazy enough)
    Have gotten her to accept, within reason so far, of
    being snubbed to the ground...letting a lead/lunge
    line drag and her stepping on it...only reason she's
    learned not to pull on it was because of the nose
    chain. It took her a few upward jerks but she learned
    and without getting really hurt either.  She has
    pulled when using only a halter or rope without the
    nose chain...doesn't do enough to really stop her if
    she's determined.  Recently she pulled back in the
    crossties a couple times for unknown reasons but
    calmed down on her own.  One of the times one of the
    crossties broke (tied with baling string just for
    emergencies) and then she settled down immediately.
    Never have figured out why she really did this. Only
    happened twice and not since of all things.
    Willing to train for hobbles but how does one go about
    this without the horse getting hurt?
    Gotta love that training,
    Val