<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] electric fences
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:57 GMT 2003
  • - Angie Orr
  • - JUDYK89

    Re: [RC] electric fences - Laurie Durgin

    I think the chain is dangerous because it won't give, In event of the 1-million, horse gets attacked, or gets legover, who knows (my vet says it is a horses goal in life to see how many ways they can self-destruct.
    The hose is a good idea perhaps to keep the rope from looping small. I sew and have to thread things thru tight openings , so I suggest you tie a light string to the rope, tie something heavy like a metal nut and drop it in the hose (Like you could stand on the roof and drop it thru the hose you are hanging down   :0) . (I threaded a hose thru a plastic pipe like this,(not on the roof, I flipped the thing slightly downhill till it went thru.
     You could also add a tie up higher than she can reach on your trailer to tie to give her enough slack to get with in 6' to the ground. Screw a 'ring't ie to your trailer. (I also use a safety knot, but you keep looping it till you run out  of leadline and then I lock it by putting the end thru the last loop. Even our pony never got them all off. Looks like a coil when you are done.That way if they play with tug the end , one tug won't release them.
      About the tangle up  thing.You could do the "loop and tangle things around your horse training thing", always better to prepare them. OR hobble (if I knew how I'd tell you.) (But I do loop stuff  all over them and let them graze  dragging their lead ropes around the yard and they have learned to "give to pressure", and will untangle themselves or wait.
      JM2 cents worth.  Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Vicki Austin
    Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 4:01 AM
    To: Roy Drinnan; ridecamp
    Subject: RE: [RC] electric fences

    I have been reading and reading all this info about
    "to fence or not to fence"    "to tie or not to tie"
    and I just had a THOUGHT.   (Strange I know, you could
    all probably smell the wood burning)  Anyway, in the
    OLD days, back when I was a kid, we used to teather
    our horses and ponies with a chain inside a hose,
    hooked down low so they could eat and move around but
    not get hurt and not get hung up and no rope burns or
    anything.  It would be strong but safe (I think, at
    least ours never got hurt)  We have one horse that
    likes to just walk through a fence when she feels like
    it. Doesn't matter what it is.  She has walked through
    a stockaid fence, electric wire and tape up to four
    strands of it(yes they were on and no she didn't have
    a blanket on)   We have been agonizing as to what to
    do with her at rides this year.  Was thinking about
    those new skyhook things but they are pricy, likewise
    the metal portafences, plus she would walk through
    them.  Has anyone ever had any experiance / problems
    with the chain in the hose thing?  Or can you forsee
    any problems with that idea? I supposed you could use
    rope inside but it is hard to get a rope to slide
    through the hose where as the chain is heavy enough.
    My other horse has never gone through a fence unless
    the mare goes first and drags him along.   Now it is
    more scary to think of other horses going through the
    fence and taking him with them. I don't like tying
    unsupervised as I have had horses get hung up (as in
    turning around and getting the rope caught around
    thier neck)  I had one horse that could untie anything
    and open every hook, snap, and horseproof latch.  He
    would turn on lights in the barn and let everyone else
    out of their stalls as well.   I had to paddlock his
    door.  He could even open electric fences by taking
    hold of the rubber handle and opening it. I had one
    horse that would lay down and scoot under the fence
    and get out. (I kid you not, I watched her one day)  I
    had one horse that could jump anything.   He would run
    and size up the fence (yes electric as well, barb wire
    5 ft high) and then run across the pasture and jump
    out.   (I saw that as well, several times as I tried
    to change the fences and deter him) Anyway what do you
    all think of the chain and hose thing???
    Vicki Austin