<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [Guest] Pigeon Fever
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:58 GMT 2003
  • - Jim Holland
  • - Laurie Durgin

    Re: [RC] [Guest] Pigeon Fever - Heidi Smith

    What Maryben described regarding pigeon fever is true if you live in an area where it is endemic (central California).  It can be much more devastating when it hits a population of horses that have never been exposed.  When it hit central Oregon a decade or so ago, I treated nearly 80 cases in about a 6-week time span, and other veterinarians in the area likewise treated large numbers of cases.  Also, horses that have never been exposed often don't mount as efficient an immune response, so treatment is often necessary.  It IS true that traditional antibiotics alone often make the situation worse and/or prolong the problem.  However, when the epidemic hit us in central Oregon, I talked to a doc from central California who had treated a lot of it, and he gave me a really terrific treatment protocol.  At the time of draining the abcesses, we also gave each horse a big IV dose (250 ml) of sodium iodide (old-timey treatment for cattle with deep-seated tissue infections, and still used for diseases such as woody tongue)--this stuff is nasty if it gets out of the vein, so we always used an IV catheter to administer it.  After giving that, we would put the horse on oral SMZ for 10-14 days.  We only had a few horses that required a second treatment; the majority got over it quickly.  Horses that went untreated tended to just have repeated abcesses--when one group of abcesses would seem to heal up, more would break out.

    In our selenium-deficient area, we also found that horses recovered more quickly if given E-Se at the time of initial treatment--which makes sense when one realizes that selenium is important in the ability of white blood cells to "eat" bacteria.  (Also, farms with good selenium supplementation tended not to get cases in the first place, or the few who did had very mild cases.)

    In addition to big abcesses on the chest, it also sometimes shows up in the sheath or udder (NOT fun to have to drain and flush those!), and also once in awhile on the ventral midline (along the bottom of the belly).

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 8:12 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] Pigeon Fever

    Usually a swelling in the pectoral region on one side in the front of the chest.  It starts out soft, gets bigger and harder and then develops a soft spot in the middle.  That's when it is lanced.  It is horrible and gross and then you just keep the inside of it cleaned out [I used water and novalsan with a big syringe] and let it heal from the inside like any abscess.

    I have heard that the junk that comes out of it is highly contagious but am not sure.  In my experience, one horse will have it and his paddock buddy won't.  October is usually when one or more of our horses will get it.  We have had 1-3 cases of it in a year.   So far, none this year...I think they call is "bastard strangles".  My vet advises against any medications such as antibiotics, etc. and my horses have always recovered just fine with no ill effects so far....mb