<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Hunting Season
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:23 GMT 2003
  • - Lif Strand
  • - Kelli Kirchner

    Re: [RC] Hunting Season - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Rides 2 Far" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>

    > My only real problem with the "real" hunters is that they seem to be so
    > paranoid that they'll lose their hunting rights that they don't want
    > anyone else to use the WMA for the rest of the year. ......  I guess after
    > seeing some of the attitudes of others on here I can see where they get
    > their paranoia.  If we're going to blame "real" hunters for crazies with
    > guns, then we can't complain if they blame us "real equestrians" for
    > every drunk with a saddlebag full of beer that litters the trails (and we
    > have our share of those!)

    Here are a few more thoughts....
    Yes, there are responsible hunters with guns and crazies with guns.  Yes
    drunk riders
    can litter trails with beer cans...but that is far better than getting SHOT
    by some drunk
    with a gun.

    I think we have to understand here that it can really vary from state to
    state. In certain
    parts of Calif., most open space and parks are closed to any kind of hunting
    or shooting
    due to high recreational usage (S.F. Bay Area open space areas, etc)

    Up here in Lake co., with a high amount of BLM, State and Natl. Forest open
    to hunting,
    y ou are right, people should be responsible for knowing hunting seasons.
    We generally stay
    out of these areas.  I am not opposed at all to responsible hunting, and
    have occasinally
    invited turkey hunters to my property to try to clean out some of the pesky
    turkeys.  I also
    direct them to a great equestrian trail area that is being totally destroyed
    by feral pigs.

    But my observations of many "people with guns", up here has not been good at
    all. The local gun
    club, and the guy from the paper who writes the outdoor column were
    adamently opposed to
    closing down hunting on a county road (the one where drunks were leaving
    beer cartons and
    shooting across blind corners), even when there was proof of the danger (eye
    witnesses that almost got shot, and photos of the litter and signs shot up.
    .  They are always adamently opposed to any common sense or logic, or
    scientific studies,
    if they think it even to begins to inpair their so-called rights....

    In the area I was talking about, where we ride often, there are times of
    year where there is a constant dumping
    of shot animals....carcasses left by the road...deer, pig, coyote, bear, in
    fact ,anything that was once wild.
    alive and moving.  It is pretty sickening.  Yes, I call these people hunters
    . They are the worst scum of the area,
    no concern for others, littering, driving and shooting drunk, and shooting
    anything that moves.  Too darn many
    of them!  I have no idea what the solution is.
    Karen