<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] RO, Fit to continue, pulls are negative
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:27 GMT 2003
  • - Bob Morris
  • - Becky Hackworth

    RE: [RC] RO, Fit to continue, pulls are negative - Tom Dean

    Tammy,

    You are right, it should be enough just have a good time.  But it is not.  If you think about it, the message in endurance is “to complete”.  It starts with an AERC message “To finish is to win”.  In our region there are 5 awards based upon consecutive completions, if you are pulled you go back to zero.  There are no awards based upon good horsemanship.  The message is strong to new riders coming into the sport.  Completion, completion, completion.  AERC puts out bumper stickers that say “To finish is to win”, they do not put out stickers that say it is ok to pull.

    If as an organization you promote completions as success, then it is only logical to believe that getting pulled is a failure.  In my opinion, a RO, FTC, (Ride Option, Fit to Continue) option would lessen the negativity attached to voluntary pulls on horses that are “fit to continue”.

    I happen to think if you got a RO pull for I know my horses, and this wasn't a day to make it work for 50 miles with that horse that day. “   that is great.  That is what I have been pushing for.   Up here that would not have been a RO, but a metabolic since it was horse, not rider related.  You made my point.  Thanks.

    Tom

    P.S. My wife had exactly the same happen to her, it was totally voluntary, the horse was fit to continue, and she was given a Metabolic Pull.