<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] RO, Fit to continue
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:27 GMT 2003
  • - Becky Hackworth
  • - Roy Drinnan

    RE: [RC] RO, Fit to continue - John A. Teeter

    Tammy's post got me to thinking of the two ROs I've done.

    One in particular, a VERY hot day at Rattlesnake Ridge; It was @2pm, 110 or
    so, Bunchuk, being a Russian Orlov, was a bit hot. He looked good but
    tired - he also looked, at the 40 mile mark, like he was quite happy to have
    completed his job for the day. (I remember steph doing the 75 that day. She
    and Dennis Summers hung out in camp for 4 hours during the heat of the day
    at their 65 mile hold, then went out and had a great time in the cool of the
    evening on that same last 10 mile loop!

    My other RO was Squeek (Sukaro Hcc) on a 2 day hundred here at lost wheel
    barrow mine ride, after a 2 week rest from the Great Norther Connection 100.
    Again a very hot day (106 in the shade at ridecamp. at the 90 mile mark,
    Sarah Metcalf just looked at me and said that, although squeek looked fine,
    he wasn't having any fun - it was true; we had been riding with (really
    being pulled along by:( steph and kruschev all day at a very slow pace. we
    could have finished, but Sarah was right; he wasn't having any fun and there
    was really no reason not to RO. There was also no reason for Sarah to pull
    him/me.  (steph went on in her 50 to blaze the last 10 miles, as Kruschev
    was pretty fresh, and received a BC even tho she was tail end up to that
    point and an hour behind the leaders:)

    anyway, RO was the right thing for the horses on those days. I remember
    while putting stuff away, the right the for me too. Hope those two little
    events don't skew the statistics too much:)

    johnt

    (p.s. a thanks to Mike & Russ and the AERC Office staff for making it really
    easy to dig out the historical details:)