<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] RO
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:47 GMT 2003
  • - Jerry & Susan Milam
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] RO - Heidi Smith

    After I sent this, I thought of an approach to explaining this that might make more sense.  Sue had a reason to pull this horse.  Ask yourself--WHAT was the "something" that caused Sue to be concerned?  The ability of the rider to continue was not at issue.  Metabolics were not the issue.  What WAS at issue was that the horse had an inconsistent head bob out on the trail.  While this did not manifest at the check (although by saying it was 1+ the vet did acknowledge that he could at least pick a leg, but that the problem was inconsistent), nonetheless, it was this issue (not a metabolic issue, not a rider issue) that caused Sue to make the decision.  While it is certainly of mild degree, it is, nonetheless, the reason for the pull.  And it is that reason that we're looking for in the pull code.  Hence the appropriateness of assigning an L code.

    I've seen exactly the same thing with horses who meet the pulse criterion, but continue to "hang" over their norm, or who are off feed.  I've had riders pull for those reasons, even though I would not have pulled them as the ride vet.  Again, the riders in these scenarios are not concerned about their own ability to continue down the trail.  They are not concerned over the horse's soundness.  Instead, they are concerned that the horse is metabolically not quite himself.  Again, the issue we're trying to get at with the pull codes is what it is that caused the rider to be concerned--clearly not an L code, in these cases, but rather a niggling concern about metabolic competence on that day under those conditions.  So they are appropriately assigned an M code.

    My hat is off to riders who will pull at the slightest hint of trouble, even before they would be made to pull.  But the fact that they are willing to do so does not in any way change the fact that we want to know WHY they chose to pull (ie what they felt was starting to go wrong), rather than keep score as to who made the choice.

    Now, if the rider ate something at the pre-ride potluck that has him stuck in the portapotty and unable to leave the check--THAT is an RO pull....  :-)

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 8:05 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] RO

    If they are given completion, then assigning a pull code to them is not an issue.  If the rider is concerned about a soundness issue, then that is why the horse was pulled, and L is the appropriate code.  "Worried about becoming lame" clearly shows that the rider is concerned about the soundness of the horse, and THAT is the issue.

    Heidi