<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] [Guest] A Photo not to Miss
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:48 GMT 2003
  • - terre
  • - SandyDSA

    [RC] [Guest] A Photo not to Miss - Ridecamp Guest

    From: RunningMtnRanch@xxxxxxx [mailto:RunningMtnRanch@xxxxxxx]

    Dear Howard,

    I got quite a kick out of that little experience of taking Korana into that
    little bar in Winnett, Montana.  I rode with three of my horses across
    Montana in 1997.  About two weeks into the ride I hit a very nasty storm
    with
    lots of thunder and lightning.  Winnett was the next town.

    I tied my horses in a low spot, grabbed my saddle and hitchhiked in the
    pouring rain to get some aid to get my critters safe and out of the storm.
    The lightning was way too close and strong to be out there.  I was picked up
    by a rancher that was a quarterhorse guy and his daughter who said they
    NEVER
    picked up hitchhikers.  I guess a drowned rat with a soggy saddle is a
    compelling excuse to stop if you are a horse person.  He told me to go into
    the Winnett Bar and to ask for the owner for assistance.  I walked in and
    could barely see.  In the dimly lit room there was a group of eight at one
    table playing poker.  That was it.  I timidly approached the group and asked
    for the owner, who turned out to be the only lady at the table.  When the
    group heard what I needed, they abandoned their cards, a fellow grabbed his
    trailer and went to get my horses. We put them in shelter at the rodeo
    grounds and went back to the Winnett Bar.  The bar decided to open up early
    the next morning for breakfast in our honor and invited all THREE of my
    horses INSIDE the bar for breakfast!  All those that were playing poker and
    then some came to the breakfast.  That's when I clicked that photo.  I don't
    remember the name of the bartender in the photo but all of the people there
    were just incredible.  And the horses were all on their best behavior.

    It was a great time.  I ended up with two people joining me for the next few
    days.  During my ride I had some help from some wonderful endurance riders
    too, namely Drin Becker, Floyd Brower, and Karen Frost.  I had also met a
    woman who was the superintendent of schools in Jordan, MT who rode from
    Vermont (I think) across the USA in the early 70s starting out with
    literally
    just a box of cornflakes tied to her saddle.  When she hit Jordan, the town
    greeted her and offered her a job.  On her way back from CA, she stayed!

    Smiling at the memory,
    Tish Montgomery (Stoots)  AERC # 6712
    Korana LHF, John Henry, and Alby  (All AERC horses)

    http://www.sendaframe.com/my_photos/zoom.shtml?user_album_id=464&lp=13069&;
    pnum=23&album_id=&album_name=&atp=0&startpage=18