<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:48 GMT 2003
  • - Trailrite
  • - Paddi

    Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot - Barbara McCrary

    I'm right-handed, posted on the right diagonal and for many years could not change diagonals, until I took lessons to learn just that.  Now I can change at will, but I notice each different horse has his own preference.  I have a perfect place to practice changing diagonals....a road on a gentle grade that winds down a mountainside.  It winds in and out of every gulch on its way, and every time  it does so, there is opportunity to change diagonals.  In response to Bob Morris' message, I post because it's comfortable for me; my husband does not post at all.  He's done very well in endurance over the years with several different horses.  I've done less well, primarily because I'm not as clever at rating as he is and I'm less competitive.  We've ridden together at times, and given equally capable horses, have finished together.  I'm not convinced that posting necessarily gives a rider the edge.  For me, it's a matter of my feet being more comfortable if I post as opposed to standing in the stirrups.

    Barbara McCrary
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 8:45 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot

    In a message dated 11/7/2002 8:41:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, howard9732@xxxxxxx writes:

    that if you focus on the weaker side, which always seems to be the left diagonal (are almost all horses right hoofed?) you will make the weak side stronger and balance out the horse more.

    I think it has more to do with handedness in the rider not the horse.  A right handed rider almost always prefers the right diagonal so they'll make the horse stronger on that side.

    I'm left handed and definitely prefer the left diagonal....all my horses do too.  Its me not them.

    Sylvia