<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:49 GMT 2003
  • - C. Eyler
  • - SandyDSA

    Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot - Rebecca Rohwer

    Karen,
         I found this information very interesting.  I have recently discovered that my mare's right shoulder muscle is quite a bit more developed than the left side.  I have been having problems with my saddle listing to the left.  So the gal's at Reactor Panel had me take some measurements on the horse.  That is how I discovered this.  So to me it makes sense as to why the saddle shifts to the underdeveloped side of the horse.  We will try to make some saddle adjustments to help this situation.
         I know that when I post at the trot I am very bad about not changing diagonals.  When I try to I get immediately bumped back to the other diagonal.  I think it is probably more comfortable to the mare, I know it is more comfortable for me.  But I do notice that when we canter it is usually in a left hand lead.  She will change leads, but primarily canters on the left.
         So I guess I am wondering if she prefers the left lead at a canter to take the work off the right side at the trot?  Or am I just being backward in my thinking?  I guess the real question would be which diagonal do I usually post on?  Since I am just starting to figure this stuff out I honestly can't say right now.  I'll have to pay better attention next time I ride I guess.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Karen J. Zelinsky
    Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 4:23 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot

    Okay guys/gals, from an equine masseuse' point of view . . .what the canter and trot do to the MUSCLES in the body.
    I would assume that a trot, being performed by the perfect, balanced body, no matter how much concussion it causes, is fairly EQUAL or symmetrical on both sides of the body.  Thus, the vet trot-outs to flush out lameness.  The vets would never canter out horses to determine lameness now, would they?  Cantering can definitely FAVOR the stronger side, AVOID signs of lameness, or weakness or in my case with a boarding horse - he has severe ring bone on one front leg and a swollen forever knee on the other front leg, he can canter or hand gallop in the field when he's up to it - NOT TROT.  Now when I massage horses, very, very few are symmetrically muscled - like people who are right-handed/right-sided, and left-sided.  When a horse is tighter on  the right side of the back, it almost always seems to prefer it's right lead.  When it's tighter on the right side, that side's muscles are also less flexible, therefore, do not want to stretch, and allow the horse to turn the torso to the left side.  Think about it.  Of course I am sure you all know about the canter on both leads equally, not just one side -- all you have to do is watch hunters/jumpers at even the top shows in the country (just saw some of the best at the Washington, D.C. International show and the Penn National HS in Harrisburg, PA - when those horses are navigating the tight turns in the ring, it usually terribly obvious which lead they prefer.  And watch the rider's butts being thrown all over the place on the bad lead side. Watch a horse being lunged using the wrong lead.  Ugh! Anyhow - where am I going with this?  A gait comparison from the body-balance point of view.  Trots demand more evenness of balance.  When muscles become overdeveloped on one side or one area, there's tons of compensation going on for balance - like a zigzagged tower of building blocks that are trying to keep from falling.  Yes, I would think that it is more comfortable at first for horses doing the canter, but all that pounding on ONE lead must stress out one stifle, or one shoulder more than another - like carpal tunnel syndrome.  Think of the 3-beats of the canter.  It's not an even 1-2-3, but a  one, two, THREE, which must be putting more weight and stress on the third beat - the lead leg, right?
    I am not sure of the cause, but I have worked on so many horses - and I mean show horses - hunters and jumpers that have muscle atrophy in one shoulder, and overdeveloped in the other, and incredible weakness one side of the butt - especially right over the hips - so bad that they practically collapse when palpated.  Thank goodness the endurance horses are so much better trained and worked.  They, as a category, are the best muscled horses I have worked on, except maybe STANDARDBREDS - and guess what gait they use? And trotters/pacers seem to be able to trot full speed for a longer period of time than thoroughbreds can run full speed.  Of course that is all done on the flats without all the variables thrown in like rough terrain, weather, riders, etc. etc. as you have all experienced, right?

    Just a collection of my thoughts concerning horse gaits and muscles and soundness.  Please correct me if I am wrong - just putting in my two cents.  Remember - I don't RIDE endurance horses - I see their muscles and stress through my hands.

    Karen Zelinsky, ESMT