<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Owyhee - small report
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:51 GMT 2003
  • - Genie Wunderlich
  • - Steph Teeter

    RE: [RC] Owyhee - small report - Leonard . Liesens

    Title: RE: [RC] Owyhee - small report

        Hi Howard,

    Cool dude :-) Hahaha

    Thanks as I take is as a 'compliment'

    It was a great pleasure to exchange jokes with Barney. Sandwiches too (beeurk, your bloody bread J) . I didn't find any 'real' bakery in Boise J

    Differences ... to be or not to be different, that is the question.

    You are different, sure you are... A few examples :

    -          cooler : you are definitely cooler than in Europe; people seems

    not 'snobbing' each others

    -          vet checks : cooler too, less stress for the horse, with the

    saddle (we have to remove the saddle), trotting done (according to me) very badly (most of the trotted horse had to suffer bad(too short) turns on the hindlegs - figure out after 50 miles the effect on the joints and muscles)

    -          gaits : most don't canter - I do not understand why - many places

    were OK for canter especially in what you call the badlands (and event on dirt road) - I think this is less traumatic for the horse as long as the canter is gentle and slow - you guys like the extended trot (we don't do that anymore in Europe)

    -          electroloytes : you do a lot :-) Is it really necessary?

    -          Arabians : yours are definitely taller (most of them) and most

    are more refined (coming from show bloodlines?)

    -          I had the impression that the ones running in the front (I mean

    the really fastest times) were not (please do not kill the messenger!!!) the most experienced endurance riders. Big difference for me (in risk taking, in metabolically traumatizing the horse)  between completing a 50miles in 4.30 hours or 5 hours

    -          Pacing : some were rushing at extended trot then walking... I

    didn't understand that. Why not keeping a gentle trot (10..12Kph) without stopping for a walk. This seems not to enhance endurance capabilities of the horse, even if it is young.

    -          Heavy weight : most of the European riders are jockeys - once

    again, don't kill the messengers or don't be shocked by my words

    -          Multi-days : amazing how the horses are becoming stronger and

    stronger. I like the multi-days!!!

    Voila. Discussion is now open J

    PS : notice the time of sending this message - jet lag.... Grrrrr... waking up at 4 in the morning

    Best regards

    Leonard, Belgium