<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Sharing expenses to rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:16 GMT 2003
  • - Joan Dowis
  • - DeAnn Schnepple

    Re: [RC] Sharing expenses to rides - DeAnn Schnepple

    So a hauling fee would be appropriate?  How about when you end up hauling the other person's second horse too?  Would I just double it?  Like I said this person wasn't a long time friend, she just posted that she needed someone to show her the trail system and haul her around.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Rebecca Rohwer
    Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 11:10 AM
    To: DeAnn Schnepple; PNER Moderator; RC
    Subject: Re: [RC] Sharing expenses to rides

    DeAnn,
         The subject of travel and sharing cost is almost as sticky as wearing a helmet versus not.  Anyway, the group I am in have been using a system that seems to work well.  The trick is to make sure that people know up front what you expect from them if you haul them and their horse to a ride.  We charge by the mile.  I think this past summer what was used for an amount was 13 cents per mile.  The owner of the vehicle pays for all the gas, but is then reimbursed at the mileage rate.
              Asking for money from a friend or stranger is a hard thing to do, but you know how much it cost to travel to a ride, not to mention the wear and tear on your rig.  So come up with what you think is fair and lay it on the table before you even take off for the ride.
         It's no so much how much to charge or the method you choose, mileage, share gas, what ever.  It's laying it out up front that avoids hard feelings afterwards.

    Happy trails,

    Becky R.