<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Sharing expenses to rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:16 GMT 2003
  • - A. Perez
  • - Joan Dowis

    Re: [RC] Sharing expenses to rides - Jon . Linderman

    DeeAnn,

    Another example of the sad adage "No good deed goes unpunished!"

    I pooled with my friend last weekend for the first time and we are good
    enuf friends that I think we worked it out well.  I packed as neatly and
    completey as I could so as not to hog space.  I picked a bucket of apples
    off my trees for our horses to share and brought some "end of season"
    libation to toast a good year for us both.  I think we communicated any
    apprehensions about issues ahead of time.  She thought I paid too much for
    gas but told her to deal with it.  I am waiting to hear if I rang up a bill
    on her cell phone when my battery went dead.........no one's gonna see me
    listed on RC as a mooch!

    Communication was they key to us being compatible and fortunately for us
    our horses are compatible too.  I do agree that the hitchhiker should
    really go out of their way to help in whatever way they can.  I would
    gladly share the ride w/her and others of my friends as well.

    Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
    Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
    University of Dayton
    300 College Park
    Dayton, OH 45469-1210
    Voice:(937) 229-4207
    FAX: (937) 229-4244
    jonlinderman@xxxxxxxxxxx
    http://www.udayton.edu/~linderma

                          "Rebecca Rohwer"
                          <rjrohwer@xxxxxxx>           To:       "DeAnn Schnepple" <ENDURANCEHOME@xxxxxxx>, "PNER Moderator"
                          Sent by:                      <PNER-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "RC" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                          ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx        cc:
                          durance.net                  Subject:  Re: [RC]   Sharing expenses to rides

                          11/01/2002 02:09 PM

    DeAnn,
         The subject of travel and sharing cost is almost as sticky as wearing
    a helmet versus not.  Anyway, the group I am in have been using a system
    that seems to work well.  The trick is to make sure that people know up
    front what you expect from them if you haul them and their horse to a ride.
    We charge by the mile.  I think this past summer what was used for an
    amount was 13 cents per mile.  The owner of the vehicle pays for all the
    gas, but is then reimbursed at the mileage rate.
              Asking for money from a friend or stranger is a hard thing to do,
    but you know how much it cost to travel to a ride, not to mention the wear
    and tear on your rig.  So come up with what you think is fair and lay it on
    the table before you even take off for the ride.
         It's no so much how much to charge or the method you choose, mileage,
    share gas, what ever.  It's laying it out up front that avoids hard
    feelings afterwards.

    Happy trails,

    Becky R.