<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Fort Valley
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:21 GMT 2003
  • - C. Eyler
  • - Betty Demar Mueller

    Re: [RC] Fort Valley - Laurie Durgin

    My daughter did eventing (trainers asst. ). yes they go down with picnic baskets and wine put up the horses , maybe ride them an hour, go back to the chalet this was a couple adults and tons of kids) ate out, stayed up late, trainers having their wine, (Of course my daughter  was the one taking care of all the horses for the slightly snotty rich kids, and trainer so they could "have fun".) They ride  the next day , eat out. etc. Course  the average bill to their parents was about 275$ for the day and evening before.
       Nice that endurance is affordable to almost anyone. And it wouldn't be "ENDURANCE" is you didn't have to sleep in a tent!!!!!!(Course you could get a camper, or truck camper, etc. ) My husband is salivating over camper conversions, maybe he feels his 49+ more than I do my 47+. Heck I was trying to be frugal with the tent and solar shower.   Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Charles
    Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 7:42 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Fort Valley

    I had a great time at Fort Valley, where I am certain that somehow, I lucked
    into the cushiest job there was.  I don't know about the riders, but  I had
    a great time.  It rained a ton on Friday night, and I have to admit, that
    driving on those dark twisty roads in the rain made me feel like I was in a
    bad movie, or stuck in an old computer game (dark twisty passages all
    alike).  I never saw any of the Shenandoah Valley except what I could see
    from the ride.  Saturday Morning and day was bright, sunny and clear.

    I did notice one major drawback that is never discussed on Ridecamp.  I have
    a suspicion that it's so commonplace that nobody thinks about it.  YOU GUYS
    CAMP OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE THE RIDE.  I haven't been in a tent since I was
    ten.  I think this could present a problem.  I don't own a tent, but suspect
    it's in my future.

    I will admit, that my wife (Susan) description of eventing sounds a lot
    better to me.  According to her, and from what I've seen on the spectator
    and casual help side, they take their horses to the event location and put
    them in temporary stables.  They walk the horse around, feed them, exercise,
    etc and make sure all is OK.  Then, they leave for dinner, and spend the
    rest of the night at a local hotel or motel.  The next morning they get up
    early, and come back to the location and ride.  Does any ride offer such
    convenience?  Is it possible to offer such convenience?

    OK, that aside, I do have one question.  I had plenty of spare time, and
    spent it taking pictures.  A lot of the time my camera malfunctioned or
    delayed taking the picture so I got horse but instead of horse head.
    However, in one sequence of pictures, I noticed a woman riding her horse
    with a bright red halter and reins.  It wasn't till I looked the 3rd or 6th
    time (today, I was too tired yesterday from having to cover for my son at
    the local team penning, an event where people drink, chat and sit on their
    horses for what is at most 90 seconds of excitement, and that's if they
    aren't lucky) I noticed that it isn't a halter at all.  The horse was being
    ridden with nothing but a rope wrapped up like a halter and reigns.  I think
    the horse was there for the 30 mile ride, or ride and tie, I'm not sure.
    The hip number was 30X but I'm only certain of the 3, and I'm only pretty
    sure of the 0.

    If you are this person, I have a few questions I'd like to ask about getting
    my horse to do that.

    Charles