<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Very young riders in AERC rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:37:41 GMT 2003
  • - Paddi
  • - Sullivan

    Re: [RC] [RC] Very young riders in AERC rides - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: oddfarm

    Allison and I were on a training ride once and galloping down a lane when a black snake popped up out of the grass. Todd jumped to the side and Allison, who is an excellent rider slowly slid down onto the grass. I can't begin to describe the thoughts that were racing through my mind. I jumped off and ran to her and by then she was sitting up. She had broken her wrist. Boy, did the guilt set in, right then and there. It was an unavoidable accident, but that didn't relieve any of the guilt.

    *Lisa,
    My daughter was practically raised on the back of a just wonderful, kind Welsh pony, who totally took care of kids. She had lots of
    hours in the arena and on safe trails, and had good control of the pony before we went in to more unpredicatble situations. She always wore a helmet, had a deep-seat tiny Aussie saddle with poleys and safety stirrups with tapaderos.  When she was 7, she made an error in judgement and timing, and instead of following me around a ditch, turned too late and the pony followed her cues and went into the ditch (shallow).  Brenna came off, put her hand out as is normal, to break her fall...and fractured her wrist.

    Another time a dog ran out behind the pony,who kicked back.....Brenna was unprepared and fell off on a hard road.  IT was pretty hard to explain to my husband why his little girl was getting hurt horseback riding.  He did understand the risks,though and trusted me to take every precaution.

    Now, add into typical situations like that, people charging past on hyper horses, rugged trail (aren't endurance rides supposed to have challenging trails?), etc, etc.   Yes, what if the sponsor gets sick or hurt?

    I am not suggesting we wrap our little kids in cotton wool until they are adults.  I think it is great to expose them to a variety of physical activity and situations.  I am not suggesting either, that they be banned from any activities that pose any danger.  Kids get hurt playing sports, riding bikes, and falling off stools in their own house!!  But, you add horses in, and the risk of injury becomes huge.  I also cringe at little kids tearing around barrels at local gymkhanas....no helmets, horses slipping in the dirt and going down.  THAT is also a high risk acitivity, and at every local gymkhana, I see some kid comming off a horse, and getting hurt. These are NOT activities for toddlers children that do not have full control of their bodies!

    Karen