<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] best virus software
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:49 GMT 2003
  • - Susan Young Casey
  • - Paddi

    RE: [RC] best virus software - Roy Drinnan

    I know this is not endurance, but obviously we all have computers and we all get email.

    for those whom run Virus software, it doesn't really matter whos software, keep it up to date.  At a minimun weekly.

    For those who do not have virus software.  (kinda like riding a green horse without a helmet).  You can get a free virus scan at anytime from www.trendmicro.com in the personal section.  Do it regularly.

    If you computer suddenly start to do things it never did before, or acts strangly, be wary.  It may not be viral, but scan the system with something ASAP.

    There is no perfect defense against the twisted minds that come up with this stuff.  The virus scanning community reacts to found viruses, but the cannot know what is next.

    Also beware of false claims of viruses.  both Norton and Trend micro publish lists of real viruses and virus hoaxes.  If you in anyway doubt the validity of a virus notification or an email telling you to 'fix' something, check it out before you change you system.  any notification of a major virus that includes people in the cc or to list from major organizations that you do not know (ie National defense, IBM etc) is probably a hoax.

    Roy Drinnan

    PS. In order to keep ridecamp from getting side tracked, I welcome questions privately.