<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Why pare away sole???
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:24 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - Ridecamp Moderator

    RE: [RC] Why pare away sole??? - Marlene Moss

    Ok, I’ve been trying to stay out of this conversation since I haven’t defined my own opinion yet.  I do barefoot as a rule, but doubt Strasser would like my trim and we shoe when needed.  But I haven’t defined what is sufficient need yet – sometimes it might just be for convenience.

    Anyhow, I was recently at a lameness vet whose husband is a farrier.  She has worked with Gene Ovnicek and has done a plethora of xrays and from those taken some interesting measurements.  They did an experiment where they trimmed a horse and verified P3 was ground parallel.  Then did sole and bar paring that is typical among many farriers (as they put it, many farriers seem to think they are paid by the amount of hoof laying on the ground when they’re done).  Then they x-rayed again and found P3 had dropped 3 degrees!

    They believe that the bars are part of the hoof support.  Regarding sole callous they flick out the loose stuff and then stop.  They were impressed enough with our trimming methods that they want to study our mustangs feet, believing that we are not altering them so much from natural that they can’t learn from how they had developed in the wild.  I thought that was kind of cool!

    Marlene

    Marlene Moss

    Moss Rock Endurance Adventures

    www.mossrockendurance.com