help -bumps in girth area

Hi folks,

My gelding has developed a bunch of small (small pea sized) lumps in his
girth area.  They don't seem to bother him, no sensitivity to touch
anyway; but I'm worried that they will cause problems when I start
riding more miles again.

Its hard to tell with the winter coat, but I snipped some hair off
around a couple of the bumps and they seem to be under the skin.  Is
there anything I can do about these or should I not worry.  I think they
originated when we rode the grand canyon in september (the tourist trail
to the river and back not the Duck's endurance ride.) He did get girth
sore doing this; and I never noticed any bumps before that.

Thanks for any information,
Teresa and bumpy Grey Moun