Re: RC: Re: abuse-very long

Your case was an obvious lack of care and definitely neglectful but how many of us would get a visit because we have an old, skinny horse or lame horse in our pasture and people are uncomfortable looking at it?
Amen to that.  I got cited by animal control for having a horse that "needed vet care".  The horse had a sarcoid that we took him to Davis for laser surgery.  It was ugly and would bleed.  At Davis they discovered that the horse had cancer and that the sarcoid was the least of his problems.  I kept him for a year in my pasture.  He had a great life and was very happy.  The sarcoid would bleed and it was very ugly but he was not in pain and I treated it and kept fly spray and medication on it.  When he started to lose weight, his owner decided that the time had come and he was euthanized.  At the same time, I had just brought a friend's horse from the boarding stable where he was not getting enough to eat and he was a rack of bones.  They wanted to cite me for that too but I had my friend, who is a vet, call and got that straightened out.  Her horse is 16.2 and 28 years old and is fat now.  What was really funny was that they did not even mention Leroy, who is my 31 year old mule and he has been bony for a lo
ng time.  He is in with the other horse and gets free fed all in one.  They also get hay, oat/alfalfa pellets and Equine Sr.

At first I was not happy but then realized that at least someone cared enough to stick their neck out to help a horse they thought was not cared for.

mb