Re: RC: RE: Re: verble cues

I use lots of verbal from the ground, ie longing or long-lining, but try to
stay away from in the saddle.

From the ground the horses (in particular the stallion who is in dressage
training) know: walk (upward pitch), aaaddnddd walk (downward pitch, the and
being the half-halt sound), walk on! (crisp and strong for laggers, this one
usually accompanied with a flick of the whip towards the hocks), trot,
aaaddnddd trot, trot on!, can-ter, can-ter on!.  And obviously, aaaddnddd
whoa.  And "support" words like "stea-dy" or easy

I used to use clicks (trot) and kisses (lope), etc under saddle.  Alot, in
fact almost exclusively.  But now have one ex-roping gelding so cued to the
kiss sound, that anyone kissing, anwhere around him, sends him into a
sprint.  Not good since he's generally the "guest" horse.  Thankfully he
also stops just as fast as he starts!  And the "guest can usually stay on
for the stride or two he takes before realizing that there is no cow around.

I use "watch it" or "careful" to have them look more closely at the trail.