Hauling Position (1 horse in 4H trailer)?

What's the best stall (slot, whatever) in which to transport a horse if
you're just transporting 1 horse in a 4 horse slant?  By "best", I'm thinking
of two things - safety (best place for the horse's weight in terms of trailer
stability), and horse's comfort - would slot would give the horse the
smoothest ride?  Are there other considerations I'm overlooking?  Offhand,
I'd guess that maybe the 3rd slot (counting from the front) might be best in
terms of stability, since that puts his weight over (actually just slightly
in front of) the rear axles?  What about if hauling two horses - middle two
slots?  We'd like to keep the front-most slot for hauling "stuff" - feed,
etc. if possible.

Thanks,
Dawn in Texas (living on bread and water after our trailer purchase)
and HK Chivas (holy cow, mom...all that room's for ME??)